It has been noted that the drink contains more caffeine than Coca-Cola and even Red Bull, even though the drink is being marketed as safe for kids.
The beverage brand was launched last year and has hit a couple of roadblocks, including this call for an investigation to gauge the drink’s caffeine content.
Senator Schumer’s Concerns Regarding PRIME
A press conference was hosted on Sunday in New York City where Schumer said, “Buyers and parents beware because it’s a serious health concern for the kids it so feverishly targets.”
Nobody from the PRIME team has released a statement or commented on this recent development.
When noted that PRIME drinks contain about 200 milligrams of caffeine in 12 ounces which is close to two whole cans of Red Bull or even six cans of Coca-Cola, Schumer said, “This is an eye-popping level of caffeine for a young kid’s body.”
According to a warning on the company’s website, children under the age of 18, women who are pregnant or nursing, and people who are caffeine sensitive should not take PRIME Energy.
In similar packaging, PRIME also offers a non-caffeinated hydration beverage.
According to Schumer, parents unknowingly purchased highly caffeinated energy drinks for their kids because the packaging and marketing for the two drinks were so similar.
“Because the product is billed as a hydration and sports drink in its other, near identical form, kids are likely to ingest cans of this stuff with the parents being unaware,” he claimed.
Past Incidents Showing PRIME’s Adverse Effects
There have been complaints from schools in the UK, Africa, and Dubai where children faced health issues after consuming PRIME Drinks.
According to the reports, a student in the UK who had consumed Prime Energy had a cardiac arrest in May.
Several sources claim that the beverage has a high caffeine content and has been connected to the child’s health issues.
A parent at Milton Primary School on Hendre Farm Drive claimed that their child had to have their stomach pumped after consuming the beverage, which has 160mg of caffeine.
People were advised against consuming the drink in Dubai owing to its anxiety and addiction-prone behavior.
The drink was altogether prohibited in South African schools after similar incidents.